Every day this week I’ve been in rehearsal for The Laramie Project. Typically these rehearsals end at ten in the evening, but Saturday’s rehearsal finished at six PM, with a lunch break in the middle. Upon walking out of the fairly dark Studio Theater, I was blinded by the extremely bright bluish light reflecting off of walls and pavement. Though I am very used to seeing sunlight, the lunchbreak light on Saturday threw me, as I was accustomed to the darkness, not only in the room, but in my mind from all previous walks leaving the building after rehearsal.
This may seem a normal, everyday occurrence, and it is. But it struck me as interesting for two reasons. We’ve talked in class about sunlight being substantially more blue in life, especially when we leave a theater after looking at a fair amount of amber lighting. Also, though, often in theater, we have careful, calculated changes in lighting, but I’m not sure I’ve seen a show any time recently where the light hurt and bothered me immediately, but then I got used to it. It just seems that it happens so often in life that it would happen in theater. Hmm.
This may seem a normal, everyday occurrence, and it is. But it struck me as interesting for two reasons. We’ve talked in class about sunlight being substantially more blue in life, especially when we leave a theater after looking at a fair amount of amber lighting. Also, though, often in theater, we have careful, calculated changes in lighting, but I’m not sure I’ve seen a show any time recently where the light hurt and bothered me immediately, but then I got used to it. It just seems that it happens so often in life that it would happen in theater. Hmm.
Nice attention to detail. We will look at moving lights later in the quarter to see some of this disparity of color from our normal incandescent theatrical lamps to an HID lamp, which is much closer to sunlight
ReplyDelete