Sunday, November 8, 2009

The Future

We're on the brink of the year 2010 and I'm super disappointed.
I remember growing up there was a crazy mystique around the year 2000 and it seemed like it was going to become this highly modernized utopia of robots and people yet none of those promises were delivered.
Now don't get me wrong. I think we've got some incredible stuff.
All kinds of awesome Iphone apps, the internet, airplanes.
We do have some remarkable human achievements, but there are two things that really bring the future down for me.
1. jetpacks (why are we spending trillions of dollars a year to fund wars in countries none of us really know anything about when we could be researching and developing jetpacks that everyone would enjoy?)
2. futuristic looking stuff. (I blame the whole retro movement. I was always p'd off when designers would reveal their "new" line and it was retro crap.) Super uncool.

But what is even worse for me is when they don't even try. The greatest offender is mass architecture. The majority of buildings don't focus at all on the construction of the building itself. They spend very little time on the exterior of the buildings and in the end we end up with Los Angeles.

L.A. blows my mind because we've got a city that really makes up half of the country's GDP and it looks like a huge dump as soon as the sun goes down. I understand that people don't want to spend millions of dollars to have I.M. Pei come down and rebuild the whole city so I'm offering a solution: Neon Lights.



Neon Lights have always been synonymous with futuristic cities. Asia has had a huge jump on everyone on this and people comment on it all the time but for all the appropriating American's it amazes me that nobody has caught onto this one.

Neon colors are super futuristic and I think it has to do with the fact that they are so unnatural and our bodies tend to register it immediately as a "new" stimulus. But they can also be super tacky if they aren't done right.

Anyways, here's the images I have in mind of futuristic neon lights. This is a crazy light show they do in Hong Kong every night and they use the actual buildings. I think we as a country should learn a few things from this.

No comments:

Post a Comment