Friday, October 30, 2009

Week 5- Source?? What Source!?!?

So I'm the LD for Waiting for Godot and when Jaymi came to see what I had done she had said what I was thinking... That the look of my show was very muddy. So I was looking back at my older posts and I was thinking about what I had said about the shadows at the beach and how the shadows were showing up on different parts of objects I was looking at. So on the recommendations of Lonnie and Jaymi I changed a few things in my plot and it looked a lot better.
But I digress, so here is the lighting that I saw in life that made me wonder about lighting on stage.














The first thing that struck me was the setting sun against the bright lights of the baseball field. There was this great contrast of the orange/reds with the stark white of the field lamps. The idea that I'm trying to gather here is, the fact that you can see everything on the field but the sunset adds more to the feeling that you have about the environment. That was something that I had trouble with for Godot, was trying to create this feeling of dusk but at the same time still maintain the visiblity on the faces of the actors. But when I saw this I thought about how subtlety of mother nature sunset wasn't really overpowered by the bright lights of the field. They added up together to create this really beautiful image, so this made me think that maybe as a designer that I have to create the subtleties of an environment so that the audience picks up on it, but don't let it be the overriding factor in how the show is lit. ie have the nice sunset downlights and toners, but use a a pipe end to be the bright lights of the field. I think that keeping this in mind will help my next design go better, because I will think of my color choices and source in a more critical manner.

1 comment:

  1. Nice observations - I feel you are touching on more of 'realism' and 'lighting for text'

    We will talk more about this in the coming weeks.

    Thanks!

    Lonnie

    ReplyDelete