Sunday, November 1, 2009

Week 5: Architectural Lighting Instruments

This week I had the opportunity to go out to dinner at Houston's steakhouse before going to a production of The Laramie Project. While I was eating dinner, I noticed that each of the tables was very specifically lit. This seemed odd to me since usually there is a bit of light spill around the tables in restaurants. Here, however, there was not. The light ended directly at the edge of the table on all sides. Curious, I looked up expecting to see a simple can light such as most restaurants use for their table lights. To my amazement, I was greeted by what seemed to be a mini source four junior! It had to be no bigger than 8 inches in length complete with shutters. I was so amazed that a restaurant would use such a theatrical type lighting instrument to serve as a simple down light. It really helped to isolate each table and create a sense of privacy and a relaxed atmosphere even with all the waitresses running around checking on their tables and bringing out food. Also, these lights were not very bright. This dim amber quality helped reinforce the atmosphere and draw the diners in to their own little worlds. It did not jar them, but instead made one at ease and willing to sit for a while and completely enjoy the meal.

1 comment:

  1. Nice observations

    I am often struck at that restaurant at how severe the lighting is - when those lights are at full, it is less relaxing - the LD must have really made a hard pitch for the cost of those architectural lekos.

    It is a very stylized look for better or for worse :)

    ReplyDelete